- ….cater for people with special housing needs;
- Make provision (which may be new or enhanced provision off site) for an appropriate level of retail, leisure, social, cultural, community and health facilities to meet local needs of the community….
- Minimise the need to travel, whilst maximising sustainable transport modes….. locating key facilities such as schools and local shops within easy walking and cycling distance of most properties
- [have] access to high quality public transport services and facilities, including bus priority corridors and, where appropriate and viable, park and ride;
- Provide a network of open spaces for play, sport and recreation, including local nature reserves, woodlands, green spaces and allotments….
- Consider design solutions to maximise the use of energy from on-site renewable and/or decentralised renewable or low carbon energy source and maximise energy efficiency;
Now, if you are one of the residents who live along Manor Drive, Herald Way, Beadle Way, Woodward Drive, Brickenden Road, Brooker Avenue, Cooper Road, Fletcher Way, Cartwright Grove, Glover Drive, Mason Grove, Piper Lane, Chamberlain Way or Harper Crescent, do YOU think…..
- There’s a range of special housing?
- There are sufficient cultural, community or health facilities to meet local needs of the community?
- Given there’s no shops onsite at the moment, are local shops within “easy” walking and cycling distance?
- You have access to high quality public transport services? You certainly don’t to a Park-and-Ride!
- You have access to a network of open spaces for play, sport or recreation? DO you have access to allotments….?
- How much energy from on-site renewable and/or decentralised renewable or low carbon energy is presently generated at the Paston Reserve development site?
I am often concerned that the local authority do not adhere to their own policies.
Whilst, I suspect sometimes these are simply considered as “guidance” or “aims” rather than guarantees etc I also believe that if there is no hope of achieving the aims we should not be hiding behind them!
I’ve now raised my concerns with senior officers at the Town Hall regarding this matter, and of course would welcome YOUR thoughts and opinions, so please do post them below!